The stakes are high

tamthoi07

Vietnam, Vietnamese
Hi,

"The stakes are high" is often used by media reporters when talking about developments in politic, economic, social, etc. issues. How should I understand this sentence?

Many thanks!

• 'Stakes' are the amount of prize money that is won by a bettor or a participant in a game.

'The stakes are high' means that the participants have a lot to gain or lose.

If I bet five dollars on a horse, the stake is low. (The stake is the amount of money I've gambled.)

If I bet five hundred thousand dollars, the stake is high. That means, if things go wrong, I will lose a lot.

So

If I am a politician, and I take a big risk, maybe I could lose my job, my reputation, money, my family . . . Even though it's not an actual stake, we say "the stakes are high" because if my risk-taking doesn't work out, I will lose a lot.

If I bet five dollars on a horse, the stake is low. (The stake is the amount of money I've gambled.)

If I bet five hundred thousand dollars, the stake is high. That means, if things go wrong, I will lose a lot.

So

If I am a politician, and I take a big risk, maybe I could lose my job, my reputation, money, my family . . . Even though it's not an actual stake, we say "the stakes are high" because if my risk-taking doesn't work out, I will lose a lot.

Many thanks, my friends, for you help!

Back